The King's Lynn Preservation Trust Limited
A Brief History
The Earl of Leicester
Founded in 1958 by Lady Joan Evershed.
Established as an industrial and provident society.
Has completed renovation of over dozen projects.
Restored in 1955-60. This was the first building to be restored by the Trust and the reason the Trust came into being. The 15th century east and west wings were restored by Mrs. E.A.Lane, who then offered the two remaining wings to the Civic Society which created the Preservation Trust to take on the task. The building now consists of various sized apartments, some privately owned, some rented from the Trust.
Restored 1963-68. Originally built around 1500 as a college to house priests in attendance at the Trinity Guild. The building was given to the Trust for restoration by Lady Fermoy and her daughter, Mrs. Shand Kydd. It now consists of residential flats, public meeting rooms for hire and some small office suites, including the Trust office. Until recently, it also housed the town's Youth Hostel and Citizens Advice Bureau
Restored in 1970, this is the end of a very fine terrace built in 1825. In danger of collapse, the Trust restored it and converted it into six leasehold flats.
Restored 1976-80. A group of fishermen’s cottages, immediately behind St Nicholas Chapel. The Trust restored six cottages here at the invitation of the Borough Council. Pilot Street was once part of the fishing community. The completed houses were sold at public auction.
5-6 Church Lane
Restored 1979-81. Two houses and a former butcher’s shop at No 1 All Saints Street, were important to the street scene and to the approach to All Saints Church. Demolition had been proposed but the Trust was able to purchase the buildings and to restore them to residential use.
Restored 1970-74. A terrace of small houses in the only remaining wing of the Benedictine monastery which preceded St Margaret’s Church. Six houses were created and sold on long leases. It received a Heritage Year conservation award
Restored 1985-88. A fine 19th century corner house neglected and at risk of demolition, it is important in its relationship to St Nicholas Chapel opposite. After restoration it was sold for use as offices.
Restored 1986-89. Situated at the corner of Ferry Lane, this fine 17th century building had been a rich merchant’s house - note the stone on its facade and the Dutch gables at the back. After restoration it was sold and is now used as offices by a firm of solicitors.
Restored 1975-80. During restoration an important Norman stone house was revealed within a 14th century medieval timber-framed house. It is now in use as offices.
In the eighteenth century Clifton House was the residence of a rich merchant but parts of the building date from earlier periods. The structure includes a five-storey watchtower built around the beginning of the 17th century and a 14th century vaulted undercroft. A medieval tiled floor was discovered in the 1960s. There are traces of an even earlier building. The Trust undertook the restoration of the exterior of Clifton House in 2002/3.
This is an article from The Architectural Heritage Fund in its report 2007 2008
Reproduction with permission